Thursday, May 27, 2010

They have a way about them!

In a continuation of how fabulous my support group is, I wanted to make this email a special thank you to them. But first, there are two people on Team Finn who I most especially want to thank because they have just helped me so much: Doreen and Spencer. I’ve only spent one ride with them but their impact on my determination has been huge!

I start with the trainers because without them I sure wouldn’t be physically capable of doing this ride.

Jaye has been my personal trainer for more than a year now (she didn’t send me a pic). I treated myself to a personal trainer to help with triathlons (I’m still as slow as ever but that has nothing to do with Jaye). It took Jaye no time at all to figure out that I was prepared to work as hard as a person possibly could but don’t make me do things that aren’t fun! And, I had – and still have – a prejudice against weight rooms and having been in one every week for the past year has not lessened that prejudice. I just hate them! Why be inside when you can be outside??? She takes me outside at every opportunity and eliminates the ICK factor of a gym. She can be found at Sungod Rec Centre (604) 952-3075.

Then along came Tonya. I have only been under her “just do it” guidance for a short time but she spends most of it SNICKERING at me. I know that if she and Jaye were to ever train me together I may very well not live to tell the story. BTW – try as hard as both of them will, my body is just not shaping up to look like this! Tonya is great fun to work out with and, like Jaye, takes a personal interest in what her clients are endeavouring to do, sources out information that is valuable to them, and is very encouraging. Tonya can be found at various community centres throughout Vancouver but I see her at Kitsilano: (604) 257-6976.


And Mark! Hands of the gods! He is the physio I have been seeing for the unrelenting pain in my upper back, shoulders and neck as a consequence of being on the bike for waaaaay too many hours at a time. When I asked him to send me his pic this is the email I got in return: Couldn't find the one with the tiger cub crawling over me wearing gold chains. And I must admit, this picture doesn’t do justice to the Soprano-like macaroni pony in him! If you need a really good physio he can be reached at mark@borslein.com.


My lovely niece Whitt (now with a finn-tastic new moniker for me: Auntie Biker-Chick) is putting all of these emails into this blog(a computer-geek related techno thing I will never comprehend) and has honoured Team Finn by mentioning it in her own blog.

Whitney married Dave...but we can forgive her for this:

Then there are the friends and family: too numerous to mention and too supportive to ever be able to thank. Here are just a few of the people that keep me focussed on this endless mile (yes, CW, at my age yet!):
My sister-in-law Karla who has come through breast cancer and who lost her mother to cancer:

My two youngest nieces – just because I love them to squishy bits:

My friend Colleen who lost her sister to cancer:


My Aunt Jan, who recently lost her husband to cancer (the picture doesn’t do her justice):
Power of pink: Pink is not just a colour anymore; it has become a standard of what I can do to help those with cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment