Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Seriously Sunny; the enemy; crying and what was I thinking!

ah! Gotcha – not talking about the weather!

SUNNY #1 - the TCM doctor I see on a monthly basis and have been for over a year. Sunny Lee is a seriously fabulous TCM doctor (I understate his talent – he is, I understand, the most sought after TCM in North America), with a wicked sense of good humour.

I didn’t post his picture on my support group “update” earlier this week because he has just returned from China and last night was the first chance I’ve had to see him. He stuck needles all over my back and YAY! my neck and shoulders are almost 100% better than they were earlier in the day. One more treatment from him, a few more from Mark, and I should be as good as any 52-year-old Auntie Biker-Chick could be!

THE ENEMY - In Sunny’s waiting room was a guy wearing a 2010 RTCC t-shirt so I went over to introduce myself and talk to him (I’ll call him Joe out of respect for his privacy). Joe told me he was there because he has cancer and seeing Sunny is part of his cancer treatment. His MRI results had been given to him that day and he is not yet cancer-free but he will be doing the Ride this year.

It doesn’t seem to matter how many times you hear someone say it – “I’ve got cancer “– my gut churns every time. All of you know that I cry even during a Telus commercial when they have those cute animals, and after talking to Joe I went and sat where he couldn’t see me and cried. I’ve done this in blue because this is the colour of Joe’s eyes.

CRYING - I don’t remember crying when I found out my Daddykins had cancer and was going in for surgery – I must have, but I was just too worried about him. It’s been a few years - and many tears he has never seen - since the surgery. He still has to schedule his life around appointments with his doctor – that makes me cry. That is not a fun way to spend your retirement.

That’s my Daddykins on the left with his two best mates (mates since they were toddlers in lederhosen)

SUNNY #2 – this is not about cancer or the ride or sadness. Sunny is the boy we are dawg-sitting right now and he is a seriously fabulous dawg and worthy of having his picture posted. So gentle and sweet. He is recovering from blowing out his knee (just after he recovered from blowing out the other one – he’s a super athlete spending most of his time on trails with mountain bikers). Our neighbour (Sunny’s person), Trevor (fixer of bikes), is in Mexico right now and it’s gonna break my heart to give him back – I’ll cry.

WHAT WAS I THINKING! I just registered for a two day a week triathlon training program (2 hours each session) for four weeks. It’s official – I will now be working out more hours in a week than I actually sleep in a week! My girlfriend just sent me this: Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. So yes, I will be doing the 125K training ride this Sunday out in miserable Maple Ridge (miles up the armpit of hell!).

Power of Pink: It’s overpowering! I’ll have to remember to have my pink pack-back filled with tissues on the ride because I’ll be crying a lot!

I took the pic of the hydrangea when I was on Saltspring last summer and the tulip is taken by my pal Adrien. The roses I treated myself to after having done 101.5K (because we can’t forget the 1.5!)



http://www.conquercancer.ca/site/TR/Events/Vancouver2010?px=2218398&pg=personal&fr_id=1331

No comments:

Post a Comment