Friday, June 18, 2010

A Letter to Cancer

A fellow Finn-ster wrote this letter the other day.  It’s probably something we have all thought.

Dear Cancer,
Suffice to say cancer, I do not like you.  Quite frankly, I hate you.  I used to be scared of you, and I suppose that a part of me still is, but as a person, I’ve grown to outright hate you.
It didn’t have to be this way; we could have probably grown to tolerate each other, as I have with several other obstacles in life.  Taxes, heartbreaks, work and I have all learned to co-exist with an unspoken understanding.
But, you, Cancer… You had to be difficult.  You had to start affecting the lives of friends, loved ones, and the loved ones of loved ones.  You started taking the lives of people I have known, who had amazing lives.  You started taking older people away.  And while it was tragic and unquestionably unnecessary, it was tolerable.  I started to learn that certain things would help the likelihood of you rearing your ugly head.  Smoking, sun tanning, and exposure to radiation… these things made sense to me.  Actions have consequences.
And then you decided that that wasn’t enough for you, and that you wanted to take away people who avoided those things.  That’s not okay.  You can’t just go around taking people willy-nilly.  Frankly, even the people who were doing dangerous or unhealthy things had no business going with you.  They still had sunrises to watch, and afternoons to enjoy with their families.
Periodically, you’d take people, and challenge them, and then you’d disappear for a while.  As if a cancer scare was something that these people had asked for, or were seeking.
Then you decided to go after the children.
Not cool, Cancer.
You decided that you wanted to take Finn, Mattias, and Ryder.  That’s not okay.  Those were a group of young boys who loved to run, jump, bounce, sing, dance, smile, love, and ride.  They were boys who would have LOVED to hop on a bike, and make a weekend out of riding down to Seattle.
So, I’ll tell you what.  WE’LL do it for them.  Over 3,000 of us.  And while we’re doing it, we’re going to raise money to fight you.  Last year, we raised over $7 million dollars.  Did that get your attention?  Did that make you nervous?  It must have, because you kept taking more lives.  In my circle, you took 3 lives, and threatened many more.
Well… not this time.  This time, we’re raising the stakes.  This time, we’re not taking a small blob of pink riders… we’re bringing an army.
Don’t worry.  You won’t miss us.
You’ll see us.  You’ll hear us.  You’ll feel us coming.  Smiling, laughing, running, jumping, singing, dancing, bouncing, riding, and loving.  Loving the experience, loving the challenge, and loving it as we wipe that smug look off of your face.
And while we might not beat you this year… we will win!  Your days are numbered, because as sure as I am, that you’re not going anywhere, neither are we.
How do you prevent this?  Simple.  Give up.  Go away.  Never come back.
I’ve grown tired of you, Cancer.  You’re not welcome at this party.  You never were.  You never will be.  So, go ahead.  I dare you.  Find a new way to grow.  Find a new gene to mutate.  It won’t stop us.  It’ll only slow us down.  But, I assure you… we’re coming.  And we’re bringing a fury that you’ve never seen or experienced.  And one day… we will win.  Even if you take one of us… you’ll just make the rest of us stronger.
I promise.

I don’t mention Finn much because I didn’t know him, but I have been able to spend a bit of time with Patrick (his father).  What you don’t know is that right after Finn died in October 2008 Patrick was told about the 2009 RTCC.  Right away he became involved with fundraising and telling Finn’s story and this year he has been attending every fundraiser (there are over 100 team members!) and meeting the newbies on the team.  He has done all this while still dealing with the loss of his son, working at a law practice and having a young family.  Every day he is reminded of what he, Sam, Sarah and Baird (together with other family and friends) dealt with.  I wish you could meet him because he is really a neat person.

A couple of you emailed me this week and yes, you can still make last minute donations HERE.


I can’t say it enough – thank you, thank you, thank you for all your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment