Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Are we there yet?

Before I start, I believe I heard that today is Finn’s and Baird’s birthday so to two of the boys who inspire the teams/people that ride this event.

This email comes to you on June 1 – the RTCC is almost here and YIKES! almost gone! I don’t want it to end! It has been so much fun and I’ve met such nice people. We’ve now had to register our passports and “check in” online. Soon the whole Team Finn www.teamfinn.com will be together at the same time. All that pink at the start and finish is going to be – I’LL CRY! For sure I’ll cry.

On Sunday a bunch of us were out in Maple Ridge for a combined ride with Team Hickman. Brent and Lisa Hickman thought of absolutely everything to make this training ride fun and enjoyable – right down to the scenic route and the big bottle of Tylenol Extra Strength waiting for us! Thank you so very much Brent and Lisa!

Pat, Sarah and Baird (some of Finn’s family members) were able to make it out for a bit of the ride and I rode with Sarah for a portion. When she had about 3km remaining her focus was on: are we there yet! This from the girl who had just one week earlier finished her first Kids of Steel Triathlon – YAY SARAH - what a huge accomplishment. Baird came up to me after we had finished that leg of the ride and quietly told me he had eaten all of his gummi bears – I think it was a bonding moment and I fell in love!

Are we there yet? That question comes in different forms, e.g. is it over? For those with cancer it’s not over. For those riding, we’re not there yet. For Finn’s family it will never be over. It’s not over/we’re not there yet – because I am sure we will be riding again next year. I was just this morning advised that a co-worker’s husband passed away this weekend from a very rare form of cancer (there was an article in the Vancouver Sun last year about Max’s cancer). My heart goes out to Steph and their two young toddlers – it will never be over for them. Thank you again, and again, for your support.

Doreen sent me a picture of her bike security system that I know ya’ll would just love to see (I have a weakness for black dawgs). Beside it is a picture of Doreen’s war wound (now healed) from a team ride in April:
(both fierce warriors for sure!)


Speed kills - On a recent ride out to Fort Langley the Squeeze told me there was only one little dip after Walnut Grove and otherwise pretty flat. That was NOT a little dip! Seriously NOT! My theory is speed kills so you can bet (and you’d win) you will see me going down hills at about 1km/hour. Okay, I exaggerate – that may be a bit on the fast side. Let’s just say I don’t create even a small breeze when I go down a hill – I melt brake pads! So if any of you plan on being at any of the finish points – take your time because I just don’t move at the speed of light!

If any of you are interested:

SOUL SONGS TO CONQUER CANCER will be an EPIC night filled with music by amazing local artists! So get ready to support the fight against cancer AND have an amazing night out!

Time: June 2, 2010. 8PM
Place: The Bourbon (50 Cordova Street West)

Pricing: Tickets are $10 and available at the door!
100% of the proceeds going to support the BC Cancer Foundation.

The AMAZING LINE UP:

Special performance by the trio: Amanda Williamson, Cassandra Nantel and Chelsea Powrie.

Dan Hudson of Waiting for Sunday -check them out HERE.


Featuring: Nadia Von Hahn -Check her out HERE.


DRINK SPECIALS ALL NIGHT LONG!

Power of Pink: for me, this weekend, it was just seeing Sarah in her fluffy pink socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment