Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Comfortably Numb (song by Van Morrison)


Pink – it’s June; it’s Ride month – I can justify as much pink in my life as I want! My desk has a very tacky pink candy dish full of pink M & Ms and today I am in pink:


Comfortably numb is a physical state I would like to be at now as the RTCC draws near: well, reality sucks! The best news is that last Thursday I was able to get a professional fitting with my bike and YAY! I had no neck and shoulder pain throughout the entire ride on Sunday! Tom (La Bicicletta) did put a a different seat on Pinky and that is my new nemesis. It’s narrower and harder and I have only two weeks to get used to it! If I have to be a wussy girl and buy a gel cover then that is what I’ll do. I did make every effort to go for a long ride on Monday but ... ya, that didn’t happen - I was hurting in a whole new place and felt every nuance of the road!

Sunday was a fun, fun ride as a result of the changes in my bike. At one rest break I was so happy that as I was stretching I closed my eyes, enjoyed the sun and sang a song. I was alone and wasn’t offending any ears – or so I thought! When I had finished the stretch and song and opened my eyes there, all listening to me, was a group of cyclists (even older than I)! I sooooo don’t sound like Belinda Carlisle when other people are listening.

In an earlier post I had talked about how speed kills. Because my ride was so much more comfortable (and quick) that at one point when I looked down at my speedometer and realized I was doing 31K/hour I nearly scared myself to death! I actually yelped – okay, so I am a wussy girl!
I think it would be easy to do the ride on this, but not nearly as fun (Harley Davidson got the colour right though).


Comfortably numb is not an emotional state I would chose. At a Team Finn fundraiser a couple of months ago Pat spoke for a few moments and he had with him a chain (for lack of a better term) of beads. This was a really, really long chain. If I remember the story correctly each bead represented a treatment that Finn had dealt with and while I don’t remember exactly how many beads there were, I do remember the number greatly exceeded 100. That has been, through all this pain, what keeps me emotionally and mentally focussed – Finn had no choice; I have a choice.

June 6 was the 25th Annual BC Children’s Hospital Child Run and my hero, (Are we there yet?) Sarah Sullivan, is the sole captain for Team Finn. Below I have attached some pics (in the group pic Sarah is the one about in the middle near the front with both arms raised):

This Sunday there will be a dinner with HOPEFULLY the entire team and their families in attendance. We will get our team jerseys and I am sure for a lot of us that will make the whole experience more tangible. The team is so much larger this year than last so I think most of us will be meeting for the first time.

Spencer came by the courthouse today and dropped off a CD of songs for Pinky pod – how generous is that! Thank you so much Spencer.

Power of Pink: Tom (La Bicicletta) knew that it was very important to keep the integrity of Pinky so he found a seat for me with pink stitching! Seriously, as I said in an earlier note, pink is not just a colour anymore.

To donate to the Ride to Conquer Cancer, visit the website HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment